Here is a fun cake that we really love; it turned out amazing, moist, and tender!!! I made some notes on what I did differently right next to the ingredients. Also, for the pudding, for honey selection make sure it is something that is not to strong unless you love the honey as much as we do!! So pleased with how this turned out!! This cake is perfect for parties!!
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or 1/2 cup carob powder
- 1-11/4 cup of honey, this depends on how sweet you would like the cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft. I used salted butter with mine.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large eggs
1) Place a strainer over a large mixing bowl. Measure in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar. Sift/shake the dry ingredients through the strainer into a mixing bowl, to eliminate any lumps.
2) Add the butter and mix at low speed for 1 minute. With the mixer running, add the oil and continue mixing until the mixture looks like sand.
3) Combine the vanilla with the milk and coffee or water, and add all at once. Mix for 1 minute at low speed, stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then mix for 30 seconds.
4) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well at medium-high speed between additions. The batter will be thin.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan of your choice (one 9″ x 13″ pan, two 9″ round pans, or three 8″ round pans). Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 34 minutes for a 9″ x 13″ pan; 28 to 30 minutes for 9″ layers; or 24 to 26 minutes for 8″ layers. Make sure to gently move the pan to get any air bubbles out of the mix before putting in the oven. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before frosting.
Optional: Pudding Filling: Makes 2 cups of pudding
2 cups milk
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup of honey
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding is very thick. Chill, either in one container or in individual cups.
Optional: Whipped Topping:
8 ounces of Heavy whipping cream
Honey- to taste on average I use about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup
Put the whip cream in a bowl and use a mixer to whip up the heavy cream until soft peaks, add the honey to taste and whip again to stiff peaks.
Now take a piece of cake and slice it in half when it is fully cooled, add a tablespoon of pudding, put the top of the cake back on top, and place whipped cream on top! ENJOY!!!
- Instead of pudding use fresh cut fruit in the center
- Use jam to make it sweeter
- Put chocolate chips or chopped nuts in the batter